Instant Pot Khao Soi
- 4 dried New Mexico or guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 cans (14oz) unsweetened coconut milk, well-shaken
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb Chinese egg noodles, rice noodles, or ramen noodles
- 3 tbsps fish sauce
- 2 tbsps light brown sugar
Preparing the curry paste:
- Place chiles in a heat-proof bowl and add enough boiling water to cover, about 3 cups. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside, allowing to soak until soft, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain chiles, reserve liquid.
- Process chiles, garlic, shallots, ginger, lemongrass, turmeric, coriander, cardamom, curry, and 1/4 cup of the soaking liquid in a food processor until smooth, adding more liquid a tbsp at a time if needed.
Preparing the soup:
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté for 10 minutes. Add oil, heat 1 minute.
- Add curry psate to hot oil, stirring constantly, until paste has darkened slightly, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, broth, and salt, bring to a boil. Add chicken.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, set vent to Seal.
- Pressure Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Release pressure.
- Once pressure is released, carefully uncover and transfer chicken to a plate to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, cut in to 1in cubes.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- Stir fish sauce, brown sugar, and chicken in to soup.
- Divide noodles and soup among serving bowls.
- Serve with desired toppings.