Instant Pot Gumbo
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Anaheim pepper, diced small
- 1 medium bulb fennel, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut to bite-size pieces
- 1 pound Andouille sausage or other smoked sausage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, more to taste
- cooked white rice
- Set Instant Pot to sauté. Add flour and butter. Whisk constantly until the roux is a rich, dark brown.
- Add pepper, onion, garlic, and fennel. Stir until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken, sausage, stock, and seasonings. Stir.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, set the nozzle to ‘seal’. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 20 minutes, or until no pressure remains.
- Serve with white rice.